Motivational Interviewing for Home Visitors
Motivational Interviewing is a way of communicating with people that will help increase their likelihood to change problematic behavior. Part of the premise of Motivational Interviewing is that everyone has the capacity to lead a healthy and productive life, and to make healthy changes.
This Motivational Interviewing introductory workshop will offer a basic level of information on the fundamental spirit, principles and methods of Motivational Interviewing (MI). The format of the workshop will be interactive in nature, and participants will have an opportunity to directly observe, experience, and practice basic MI skills. Motivational Interviewing believes in treating others with respect and high regard.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define MI as a provider style rather than a set of techniques
- Describe a basic assumption behind an MI approach
- Discuss and practice OARS skills
- Define the four processes of MI and demonstrate skills via semi-scripted practice
- Demonstrate skills for responding to discord
There are no scheduled sessions at this time. Sign up to be notified when this course is available.